The Washington Forrest Foundation was established in 1968 by Benjamin M. Smith (1884-1975) with a donation of real estate, including property at the intersection of N. Beauregard Street and W. Braddock Road, formerly known as Washington Forrest. This land today is the location of NOVA Community College’s Alexandria Campus.
Through his work as an Arlington realtor and developer, his strong faith also instilled in him a desire to serve his community. He was chairman of both Arlington County Board and Arlington County School Board, and served on the Board of Arlington Hospital. His particular interests were youth, the elderly, and the United Methodist Church, but he gave his time and financial resources to a wide variety of community activities, reflecting his belief in a comprehensive approach to local needs.